Before you can answer that question you have to know and understand that there is a major difference between being alone and being lonely. We all know what it’s like to feel alone and at some point in everyone’s life, there comes a time when we feel like we have no one. We all know what it’s like to feel closed off from the world, but then you get something such as loneliness and if not handled well, unfortunately it could lead to chaos. This could be literally or figuratively, depending on you of course. Now I’m not here to give an entire speech on loneliness, but I thought it would be very beneficial to you if I suggested a few points on how to cope if you are in this situation.
I’ve done some research and I’ve come up with these 5 strategies:
- Firstly, I am a firm believer that the BEST and ONLY way to be able to move forward in life is to accept that this is the way that things are. This doesn’t mean that your life won’t change but most times, misery is caused by denial. Your life can feel like a mess but believe me, it is possible to be happy during a storm and the word for that is CONTENTMENT. Your situation will only change once you decide to change. So take that first step to being happy again and begin with acceptance.
- Most times, people wouldn’t be happy to take this second step, because they won’t let go of whatever anger and resentment they hold against God. My step two is to start praying again but this time, let go of all the pain and disappointment you hold in your heart. I’ve heard something so amazing the other day which goes as follows: “It is too much work to hold onto resentment, because then you have to remind yourself every single day why you are angry. It is so much easier to forgive.” I found that absolutely beautiful and it is entirely true. Ask yourself this one question: is the anger you hold onto worth your mental and physical health?
- This may sound cheesy, but fall in love with life again. Fall in love with being alive! Fall in love with the little things that you’ve once loved so very much. Fall in love with existence! Wake up early just to drink your favourite cup of coffee and sit outside and listen to the singing birds. Appreciate the way the light falls on the leaves which gives off such a beautiful and rich colour green which I honestly love so much. Appreciate being able to see the beauty in everyday life and being able to hear those tiny chirping birds. Go for a drive and visit your favourite spot. Fall in love with being able to do these things on your own. There is nothing wrong with spending time with yourself even if it’s all the time. There is so much beauty all around!
- There is and will always be someone that will always be willing to listen and to spend time with you. All you have to do is ask. Phone a friend or message someone you aren’t close with. This will give you both a chance to get to know one another better, and guess what’s the best part about that? There’s even more to talk about then! Just don’t sit by yourself and expect someone reach out to you. Chances are, they most probably don’t even know that you aren’t okay. It’s time to stand up for ourselves and to stop playing victim. No more expecting the world to care when you aren’t prepared to make the first move. You are responsible for yourself. That’s life man.
- Lastly, focus on yourself by getting involved in things that you enjoy doing. Create projects for yourself. If you enjoy making things, google cute DIY Arts & Crafts projects, and believe me, there’s many. Pinterest will help you in that department. If you have an active personality, buy a bicycle and cycle or join a gym or go for regular jogs where there is beautiful scenery to inspire you. There’s many things you can do. Start a blog if you must. There’s many ideas to choose from. Just research.
There you have it. Those are my 5 points on how to cope with being alone. I hope my post has helped you and if you have any questions, feel free to comment down below.
Go well sweet pea.
Lots of love